The test manager leads a team of test coordinators or test managers. He is responsible for the planning, management and execution of the test process, on time and on budget and at the right quality, for multiple test levels or test types. He reports conformable to the test plan on the progress of the test process and the quality of the test object. This function is active throughout the TMap life cycle.
- The tasks as executed by the test coordinator
- Creating, obtaining approval of and maintaining the master test plan
- Risk assessment and strategy determination
- Creating planning and estimate
- Specification of organisation and infrastructure
- Specification of procedures and standards.
- Executing the master test plan within planning and budget
- Recruiting and assessing employees
- Day-to-day management of test activities
- Setting up the organisation
- The test functions and procedures are executed conformable to the structure specified in the master test plan
- Executing work distribution
- Establishing master test plans
- Monitoring progress.
- Maintaining external contacts
- Internal quality management
- Acknowledging, anticipating and reporting on project risks
- Defining or advising on test policy
- Execution of test process optimizing.
Required knowledge and competencies
- Extensive experience in the implementation of the TMap life cycle and techniques
- Experience as a test coordinator.
- Comprehensive automation knowledge and experience
- Good knowledge of system development methods
- Knowledge of architectures and tools for system development
- General knowledge of hardware, software and data communication resources.
- Ample experience in leadership in projects
- General knowledge of the domain and the line organisation
- Excellent contact skills and a motivating personality
- Excellent written and spoken communication skills.
There are also roles that do not constitute positions in themselves. Think about e.g. Defects administrator, Domain knowledge expert, Test infrastructure coordinator or Test team leader. In practice other roles also arise. Roles may also be combined.
Information about the tasks and the knowledge and skills these and other roles require. Read more